From Equity to Inclusion: Another Reflection on Disability and Respect
Second blog post in one day!
Following my earlier reflections on the release of Hauwhaikaha: The Disability System Report, I wanted to share a post I wrote on my author blog. While many people know me through my social work, disability advocacy, and teaching roles, I also write under the pen name Peter Stanley.
Why Being on Eye Level Matters: Power, Dignity, and Disability Inclusion
In this post, I reflect on why a seemingly small gesture can have such a profound impact on disabled people. The article was inspired by a photograph of Prince William meeting actor and disability advocate Warwick Davis at eye level during an OBE investiture ceremony. While many people understandably focused on Davis's achievements and recognition, what struck me was the symbolism of Prince William choosing to engage with him as an equal.
My central argument is that being at eye level is about far more than physical positioning. It is connected to power, dignity, inclusion, and respect. When non-disabled people stand over wheelchair users or people of short stature, it can unintentionally reinforce social hierarchies. By meeting someone at eye level, we communicate something powerful without saying a word: you are valued, respected, and equal.
Drawing on my own experiences as a wheelchair user, I discuss how simple acts of respect have stayed with me throughout my life. I share examples of people taking the time to engage with me directly, shaking my hand properly, or speaking to me at eye level. These moments may seem small, but they contributed significantly to my sense of belonging, self-esteem, and feeling genuinely included rather than pitied or treated as a symbol.
I also explore the role of public figures in modelling inclusive behaviour. When people with influence demonstrate disability-aware practices, they help normalise respectful interactions and challenge outdated assumptions about disability. Meaningful inclusion does not always require grand gestures. Often, it is found in everyday actions: making eye contact, engaging directly with disabled people, treating accommodations as normal, and amplifying disabled voices rather than speaking for us.
Ultimately, I argue that disability inclusion is not merely a matter of policy. It is something that is lived and experienced through everyday interactions that affirm dignity, equality, and belonging. What made Prince William's gesture so significant to me was that it transformed a formal ceremony into a visible demonstration of respect, reminding us that inclusion is fundamentally relational and human.
Key message: Small acts of respect, such as meeting a disabled person at eye level, can challenge power imbalances, promote dignity, and make people feel genuinely included.
Comments
Post a Comment